Thursday, May 14, 2015

More When Being Short Stinks

photo by Cop Richard
Recently I wrote a post about how being short can be frustrating. Well, I've remembered more times that my height--or lack thereof--can be problematic.

Babywearing
I love to wear my babies and for as long as possible. My first was done by the time he could walk (10 months). Although my second learned to walk a month earlier, he still lets me wear him at 20 months old. But he takes up over half my body and his head gets in the way of my vision or smacks my chin--ouch! People comment on how big he is, until they see him next to other kids and adults and realize he's actually pretty small, just like his mama!

Driving
Of course, I have to sit really close to the wheel. It's even more fun (and dangerous) when I'm pregnant and have to work around my protruding belly. Thank goodness for better seat adjustments these days! The icing on the cake is that the sun visor does absolutely nothing for me most of the time.

Grocery Shopping
I hate when I need something on the top shelf, and even worse, when the front-row products are all taken. I wait for the aisle to clear of other shoppers and then step onto the bottom shelf to help me reach. If I still can't, then I wait for someone to come again and embarrassedly ask for assistance. If no one comes, well, if it's not urgent, then I just don't buy it.

Clothes Shopping
Last time I specifically mentioned pants, but they're not the only clothing item that presents difficulty. Many fashions I can't wear because of my short stature. Maxi skirts and dresses, palazzo pants, and floor-length evening wear are always way too long, and hemming them costs more money and ruins the cut/look. I only have one maxi dress and was ecstatic when I tried it on and it was the perfect length. Also, I can't wear mid-calf pencil skirts (which are really in right now, especially at my favorite store, New York & Company) and capris or tunic shirts because they make my legs look even shorter than they already are.

Honestly, I don't really mind being short. I love myself just the way I am and think I'm beautiful. But that doesn't mean I don't have my whiny moments! What's a physical characteristic you have that you sometimes find irritating?

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...