Thursday, October 22, 2015

"From Baptist Preacher to Mormon Teacher" Book Review


If you don't know me, I love to hear people's stories: where they came from, how they met their significant others, what their talents and hobbies are and where they learned them, etc. As a Mormon, one of my favorite stories to listen to is people's conversion stories: where they first heard the gospel, what touched their spirits and made them want to learn more, what was difficult for them to accept, etc. Therefore, I was excited to review From Baptist Preacher to Mormon Teacher by Wain Myers (with Kelly Martinez). Brother Myers candidly and humorously shares his journey to becoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and progressing in the gospel.

Smiles
*Brother Myers is honest and real. You can feel his personality through the book so it seems that if you met him, you wouldn't consider him a stranger but a friend.
*The book is very engaging and easy to read. Sometimes it read like a novel and sometimes like a compelling church talk (which he says he practices all the time, so maybe that's why it showed in his writing, too!).
*I learned some things about the Church and gospel that I didn't know before. I won't tell you what they were, though--you have to read the book yourself!

Frowns
*The last quarter felt a little disjointed to me, bouncing from topic to topic and reading more like a sermon than a story line (I guess his preaching days haven't fully left him, lol). I would've liked it organized differently.

If you enjoy a fresh and funny story about a real person and their spiritual journey, I recommend you read this book!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...