Friday, July 29, 2011

Education Never Stops

Sometimes I miss being in school. I miss reading textbooks, going to classes, writing papers, and even taking tests. I envy friends working on their graduate degrees--until I remember I don't have to be in college to learn. I have control of my education. It doesn't have to stop just because I am a stay-at-home mom. I still have many college textbooks and notes I can reread. And even if I didn't, I could follow these simple tips:

FOCUS. Discipline yourself and limit distractions and activities that discourage learning. Instead, use the time to challenge your brain: solve puzzles, do math problems, learn a new skill, increase your vocabulary, participate in a new hobby.

READ. Gain knowledge from reading print and online materials: magazines, journals, newspapers, nonfiction and fiction books, newsletters, manuals, reports, encyclopedias, dictionaries, textbooks, etc. You can find information on anything through reading. In this modern age, TV is also a useful tool, granted you are watching something intellectually stimulating or informative.

STUDY. Reading is not enough. In order to understand what you read, you may need to study by looking up words, concepts, or processes you are not familiar with; reading other materials on the same subject to get other opinions and perspectives; asking questions to experts; or researching topics and events for better insight.

THINK. Thinking is hard, but many of the people history has determined as the most intelligent are those who were great thinkers and philosophers. Create your own ideas. The knowledge in the world continues to expand because of new thoughts.

DO. The best way to learn is by trying things, practicing, and getting involved. You gain experiences, knowledge, skills, and understanding you cannot get just through reading.

SHARE. Talk to other people about things you’ve learned, read, thought, and done. Explaining and discussing something help you better understand it. Listen to what other people have to say, too; you may learn something from them.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...