Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm a Homemaker, Not a Housewife

photo by Billy Alexander (sxc.hu)
I hate the term housewife. I am not married to a house, nor am I only a wife while in a house. My life is not defined only by what I do in a house, such as cook and clean. Sure, my interpretations may seem silly; blame the linguist in me. And housewife carries so many negative connotations thanks to ultra feminists. Besides, when I hear it, I can't help but think of those sleazy, shallow women on the "Real Housewives" TV shows.

I prefer the term homemaker because it accurately describes my goal: to make a home. And "home is where the heart is," meaning it is more a feeling than a physical place. Homemaker covers all women, not just stay-at-home moms, and all worthy activities, not just cooking and cleaning. It defines any woman striving to create a safe haven for her family.

2 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

LOVE this! So glad I am following your blog now. I will be careful to use the term "homemaker" always now instead of housewife.

Men can also be called homemakers as (especially when a family is involved) it is both our jobs to create a safe and loving home.

Francesca said...

Totally agree that men should be homemakers too. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...