Monday, June 2, 2014

Mexican Meatless Quinoa Casserole

The last recipe I posted was Mexican Meatless Stuffed Peppers. I was craving that Saturday night but didn't have any bell peppers, so I turned it into a casserole and served it over white rice (though it's fine eaten by itself; the rice just made it more filling). The recipe is only slightly altered based on what I had on hand: I used salsa instead of diced tomatoes, left out cilantro, and used a mix of red, brown, and black quinoa. I also doubled the beans, corn, and quinoa to fill the casserole dish.


Ingredients
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream
Directions
  1. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. (I like to make mine with chicken broth.)
  2. Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until the onions are opaque. 
  3. Stir in the beans, corn, quinoa, salsa, chili powder, and cumin, and heat through.
  4. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Cook for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F. 
  5. Top with cheese and/or sour cream. Serve over white or brown rice if desired. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...