Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guest Post: E Hernandez Designs

Welcome to Emma Hernandez of E Hernandez Designs! Emma makes fun stationery and address stamps:






She has written an honest and refreshing post for this blog:

Finding Time for ME

After my oldest child was born, I decided to take a year off of work (I was an elementary school teacher, so I was lucky to have that option). I stayed home for that year, and 4 years later I’m still home. I now have 2 beautiful, amazing girls. But, the truth is, even though I chose this, sometimes I am bored by it. I mean, really bored by it. For example, I’m usually in bed by 10 p.m. My to-do list consists of doing laundry, making grocery lists, and cleaning out closets. I talk about potty training and feeding schedules. I worry about balancing the budget, making sure to get dinner out on time, and if I can find a babysitter so I can go to a dentist appointment by myself.

These are all important things that help my family go round. But I have been thinking about this routine a lot recently. Do I love my family? YES. Am I happy? YES. Am I fulfilled as a person and as a woman? Not completely.

And then I read this statement from Kristen Houghten in her book And Then I'll Be Happy! Stop Sabotaging Your Happiness and Put Your Own Life First:

“Motherhood should never be a case of "self-identity" theft. You need to make the right choices that will ensure a normal and respectful relationship between you and your children. Learn how to enhance your children's lives without neglecting your own. There are ways to be a good parent without neglecting your own needs, wants, and goals.”

I want my children to know that because I love them, I take care of myself in all ways--physical, emotional, and spiritual. So, I’m now on a quest and I’m excited! I’m looking forward to rediscovering myself. I’m not quitting being a stay-at-home mom. I’m just going to make sure I prioritize more time in my day for ME. ☺

Check out the blog E Hernandez Designs for more great posts, including a guest post by me!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...